This is a guide on how to use the Multiband Compressor plugin – a compressor plugin with up to six frequency bands.
Add/remove frequency bands by hovering over the top of the visual display until a ‘+’ button appears. Click on this button at the desired crossover location. A band can be removed by clicking on the ‘x’ button on the crossover that appears before the band to be removed.
Adjust the compression by using the THRESHOLD, RATIO, KNEE, ATTACK and RELEASE knobs. Observe the gain reduction in the meter. Use the INPUT slider to increase the compression. And adjust the output gain by using the MAKEUP knob.
LOOKAHEAD can be activated to add a small amount of delay to the sidechain signal to deal with fast attack signals. AUTO ATTACK or AUTO RELEASE can be engaged. And AUTO MAKEUP can be engaged to add makeup gain to the compressed signal based on the input signal.
Use the DRY/WET knob to adjust the amount of compressed signal that will occur in the output.
Each band can be deactivated, bypassed or soloed by using the buttons at the top right of each band. Additionally, the frequency bands can be adjusted by dragging the crossovers in the visual display. Additionally, the output gain can be adjusted in the visual display. The A-B functionality can be used to compare and select desired settings. A good selection of presets are provided as a starting point.
- Remove a band by clicking the ‘X’ icon in the visual display. This will remove the band ahead of the crossover being removed.
- Move the mouse towards the top of the visual display. A ‘+’ icon will appear which will follow the mouse as it moves right or left. Click the icon to place a frequency crossover at the desired frequency.
- Move a crossover by dragging the crossover to the desired frequency.
- Adjust the band output gain of a band by dragging the gain line (on the visual display) up or down.
- Display the input and/or output frequency response by clicking the In and/or Out buttons.
- Select a band by clicking anywhere inside a band on the visual display. The band will change to orange and the associated controls will appear in the orange control panel below.
- The amount of dry/wet signal can be adjusted by using the DRY/WET knob.
- The band output can be adjusted by using the OUTPUT knob.
- Activate/deactivate delay by toggling the switch button at the top right of each band.
- Bypass a bands delay processing by clicking the ‘B’ button at the top right of each band.
- Solo a band by clicking on the ‘S’ button at the top right of each band.
Use the ‘BAND|OUTPUT’ toggle to switch control views between BAND and OUTPUT. Global output controls including gain, wet/dry mix and bypass.
Top Menu (Presets and A-B Comparison)
The top menu provides the following functionality:
- A-B Comparison functionality: Click the A-B button to initiate the comparison. Make changes to the settings and then click the A-B button again to compare with the original. Click the Keep button to keep the preferred version ie. A or B.
- Preset functionality: Select from the list of factory presets or save your own by clicking the Save Preset button. Click the Delete Preset button to delete a preset.